Shooting Investigation Update Reveals Zambrano-Montes Was Not Ar - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Shooting Investigation Update Reveals Zambrano-Montes Was Not Armed With A Gun Or Knife When Shot

Posted: Updated:
PASCO, WA. -- We know what we could have safely assumed before that Antonio Zambrano-Montes died from multiple gun shot wounds. 

How many times Zambrano-Montes was shot was not released Friday. At a media conference Friday that we brought to you live here on NBC Right Now, we did learn more details about how this shooting will be handled. 

Only a small part of the anticipated autopsy results were released Friday. From that we know that Antonio Zambrano-Montes was shot multiple times. We do now know more about what investigators found or rather did not find on Zambrano-Montes after he was shot. 

"Antonio Zambrano-Montes was not armed with a gun or knife" Sergeant Ken Lattin with the Kennewick Police Department said. "We all know based on the videos we've watched on social media, that he did at one point at least have a rock in his hand and threw that rock. The investigation continues on whether he was armed with a rock at the time he was shot."

We asked how many times Zambrano-Montes was shot, or if that information will be released. 


"I don't even know that as Mr. Sant was speaking that the autopsy is not actually complete, that they were not doing it as we were talking," Sgt. Lattin said.

We also know more about the Special Investigative Unit that is handling this shooting. It consists of 15 law enforcement officers, lead by the Kennewick Police and helped out by Richland Police, Benton County Sheriff, Franklin County Sheriff, and Washington State Patrol. They are given the task of finding the facts and not passing judgement. 

"The S-I-U is simply fact finders," Sgt. Lattin said. "They are investigators that look at all of the facts and present them as they are not making any recommendation, not rendering any opinions. We have to remain unbiased."

At the press conference Sergeant Lattin and Prosecutor Sant said they did not want to release one piece of information at a time but rather answer all questions at once. They expect to be setting up press conferences updating information as we go along. One of those conferences is now scheduled for next Thursday.

Another key piece of information is that they are looking to talk to as many witnesses as possible who saw the shooting happen. Obviously this is a busy city block and it was at rush hour so there could be many different perspectives.

If you have any information, the S-I-U has set up a hotline number, 509-491-4011. They urge anyone who has anything to add to give them a call.