Winds Cause Fire to Spread Quickly, Completely Damaging a Wapato - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Winds Cause Fire to Spread Quickly, Completely Damaging a Wapato Family's Home Saturday

Posted: Updated:

WAPATO, WA - Firefighters in Wapato say a family's home is a total loss after a fire Saturday morning.

Firefighters responded to the fire on the 3500 block of Campbell Road just before 11 a.m.

They say the winds at 25 miles per house caused the fire to spread quickly.

A person who lives in the home told crews he believes a cigarette had fallen out of the ash tray by the window and that is when he says they started seeing smoke.

Eight people lived in the home. The Red Cross is helping the family. 

The damage is estimated at around $120,000.

14 firefighters helped fight the blaze. 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/