How to Avoid Fire Hazards Halloween Weekend - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

How to Avoid Fire Hazards Halloween Weekend

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, WA- With Halloween a few days away people are putting up the last of their decorations and getting those last minute costumes, but there is one more thing to prepare for. 

The National Fire Protection Association wants to make sure everyone is aware of the many fire hazards while out trick or treating. They recently reported that over the past few years decorations were the first item to catch on fire causing about $13.4 million in direct property damage nationwide. 

They say there are some tips to keep in mind to prevent any fires from happening to your property or even your children. 

When choosing a costume, be cautious of capes and long trailing fabric as it may catch fire passing by a candle-lit jack-o-lantern. You also want to be cautious of flammable decorations like dried flowers, crepe paper and cornstalks, which are all highly flammable. Keep highly flammable decorations away from open flames, light bulbs and heaters. All exits in your house should be kept clear and uncovered to allow for an easy escape route in case of a fire. 

Finally, to light up your jack-o-lantern try to use battery operated candles to avoid any accidents. If you only have regular candles be sure to watch those candles closely and keep them away from busy areas where "trick or treaters" may walk. 

For more information on how to prevent Halloween fires visit the National Fire Protection Association website

HD DOPPLER 6i
/