Victim's DNA Found in Car of Spokane Police Officer Arrested for - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Victim's DNA Found in Car of Spokane Police Officer Arrested for Rape

Posted: Updated:
Officer Gordon Ennis was arrested for 2nd degree rape Officer Gordon Ennis was arrested for 2nd degree rape

SPOKANE, Wash. - Court documents released Thursday show the DNA of the woman Spokane Police officer Gordon Ennis is accused of sexually assaulting at a party at another officer's house in October was found in Ennis' car. 

Investigators found the DNA on a seat belt and the parking brake, but the victim told detectives she had never been in Ennis' car. 

Ennis turned himself in on a charge of 2nd degree rape Wednesday afternoon. Ennis spent 10 minutes in the Spokane County Jail getting fingerprinted and his mugshot taken. He was then released. He is scheduled to appear in court on Monday. 

Charges of rendering criminal assistance and obstructing a police officer against Spokane Police Guild President John Gately have also been referred to the prosecutor's office. Investigators say Gately tipped off Ennis about the investigation, giving Ennis time to destroy evidence. 

Court documents show Gately called Ennis the day after the assault took place and had a conversation for a little more than a minute. Gately also called Ennis the next morning and that conversation lasted nearly seven minutes, according to court documents. Immediately after that call, court records show Ennis began sending text messages asking for attorney contact information and called several attorneys. 40 minutes after Ennis' conversation with Gately on October 26, Ennis' attorney, Rob Cossey called investigators to let them know he was representing Ennis and detectives could come to his office to serve the search warrant for DNA and cellphone records. At that point in time, the search warrant had not yet been filed and had only been discussed with police command staff. 

The officer who hosted the party, Doug Strosahl was cleared of any wrongdoing after his fiancee told detectives she had washed the clothes the victim was wearing before she heard about the assault. Strosahl still faces an internal affairs investigation into whether he violated department policies by not notifying his supervisors of the assault after the victim told him about it the next morning.