UPDATE: Firefighters Say West Valley Family Is Lucky After Escap - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Firefighters Say West Valley Family Is Lucky After Escaping House Fire With No Working Smoke Alarms

Posted: Updated:
West Valley fire started by heat lamps. West Valley fire started by heat lamps.

YAKIMA, WA.- A Yakima family is counting their blessings after a fire destroyed a good portion of their home Sunday night.

Owners of a local business, Cascade Gardens, woke up to what they thought were the family pets at the back door, but turned out to be flames shooting through the back windows of their home.  

"The next thing I know it's just too loud to ignore and I get up, open the doors to one of the rooms in the house, and it's just full of flames," homeowner Eileen Weresch told us.

    

The fire started just before 11:00 o'clock Sunday night. Eileen says she ran to one of the guest rooms at the back of the house where she found the fire spreading quickly, "It was definitely a lot of sparks, high into the sky, a lot of flames."

    

Firefighters told us the fire started in a chicken coop near the home, after a heat lamp inside the cage caught on fire and spread to the home.

No one was injured, something Eileen, her husband, and son are all thankful for, but it's definitely a wake up call.  

"It makes me think about fire safety so believe me we've been checking all the Christmas lights, extension chords, just looking for anything that could be a potential fire hazard," Eileen said.

    

However according to the YFD Information Officer, Jeff Pfaff, things could have ended differently, "The people were very lucky to survive that fire, there were no functioning smoke detectors in the home, so it really was luck that they woke up and were able to get their family out," Pfaff said.

    

As for their business right next to the home, Cascade Gardens is up and running as usual, thankfully the fire was contained just to the home and didn't spread to the other buildings on the property.  

The family does have a guest house on the property and they'll be staying there until their home is repaired.

    

Firefighters estimate around $50,000 in damage was caused by the fire.

PREVIOUS - Yakima Fire crews say heat lamps started a fire inside a chicken coop and damaged a West Valley home.

Two people were outside the home uninjured when crews arrived to the home on the 5700 block of W. Washington Avenue Sunday night just before 11:00 p.m. according to Capt. Jeff Pfaff  from the Yakima Fire Department

The homeowner told fire crews she was awakened by noise at the back of her house then the sound of breaking glass. 

She also told crews she went to the unoccupied bedroom, opened the door and found fire and smoke entering the home from the window with flames coming across the ceiling. 

Firefighters said there were no functioning smoke alarms in the home. 

Fire crews said the fire was caused by heat lamps in a Chicken coop and spread because the sawdust bedding and feathers that were near the heat lamps.  

This fire is determined to be accidental and firefighters said it is a good lesson to not place heat lamps in pet enclosures right next to your house." said Pfaff.

Crews were on scene for nearly 2 hours put out the fire and investigating the cause of the fire.   

Firefighters estimate a total loss of $50,000 saying the chicken coop is a total loss with fire and smoke damage throughout it and the house cannot be lived in due to severe damage to the back of the house which includes structural damage to the attic and roof.  
 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/