YFD Says They're Seeing A Rise In Carbon Monoxide Exposure - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

YFD Says They're Seeing A Rise In Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, WA.- Winter is just about here and that means most of us are cranking up our heaters trying to keep warm through the months ahead, but as we found out on Monday the Yakima Fire Department says they're seeing a rise in carbon monoxide exposure.

Our local hospitals have seen a rise over the past couple of weeks with several patients coming in with flu like symptoms that have turned out to be carbon monoxide poisoning.

    

That's why the fire department has been sent out to check homes around the Yakima area. They're finding some homes that have carbon monoxide detectors and some older homes that don't, however as of 2013, all new homes are required to have them.  

    

Even so, firefighters are stressing the importance of having these detectors in your home, "You want to take care of your family and make sure they're safe. For a good price, like $20.00, you can get a carbon monoxide detector, they're good for five years. Just test it make sure it works and then make sure you're checking the batteries, like a smoke alarm," said YFD Information Officer Jeff Pfaff.

    

They're also asking that people have their heating systems checked for leaks, blockage, or damage. Also if there is a power outage at your home don't use gas fired appliances to heat your home or a generator, unless it's outside and far enough away from any windows that might let fumes in.

    

In addition, while it may be tempting when it's cold, don't start your car inside the garage.  

    

There are an estimated 1,500 people that die in the U.S. every year from carbon monoxide poisoning and the fire department says it's no joke, so make sure you safety proof your home this winter.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/