Unattended candle causes $100,000 in damages to one home - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Unattended candle causes $100,000 in damages to one home

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, WA - Crews responded to a house fire on the 900 block of North 26th Avenue close to 11:30 on Monday night.

Firefighters say the fire was caused by an unsupervised religious candle that had been lit.

A child woke up to the sound of a smoke detector and dark smoke inside the house, and thanks to the child and smoke detector the family who lived in the home was able to get out of the house safely.

"It started up about 9:00 p.m. and they went to bed, and at around 11:30 they were awakened by the sound of their smoke alarm," said Jeff Pfaff, spokesman for the Yakima Fire Department. "They are very lucky that we did not have a fatality fire and they had functioning smoke alarms which literally saved their lives."

The fire caused over $100,000 in damages and the home was rendered unlivable, but no one was injured.

Authorities say that between the years of 2009 and 2013, more than 9,000 house fires were started by candles.

They urge the public to never leave a candle unattended.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/