Where you can recycle your living Christmas trees - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Where you can recycle your living Christmas trees

Where you can recycle your living Christmas trees

Posted: Updated:

NBC RIGHT NOW - If you bought a real Christmas tree for your home this year, now may be the time to bring it down. 

Firefighters want to remind us all, if your tree dries out it can become a fire hazard. According to the National Fire Protection Association, a dry tree can burn faster than newspaper.

It's a good idea to recycle a tree when it starts dropping its needles, and if you're looking for a way to get rid of those trees, there's a few options.

An organization in Yakima is helping children who are disabled and terminally ill by helping you getting rid of your tree. 

Camp Prime Time is accepting all living Christmas trees for free. They're at Washington Tractor right off of Fruitvale Blvd. While it is free, they will be collecting donations to benefit the organization and the children they help.

Ralph Berthon, a board member for the organization, says, "All the money collected goes to Camp Prime Time, which is a camp for terminally ill, seriously ill and handicapped children and their families, it helps us run the facility, this is operational money that we are raising by doing these kind of projects."

The organization is expecting to collect more then 3,000 trees. The group will be out there everyday until Jan. 8th and that's when all trees collected will be put into a wood chipper.  

If you live in Richland you can leave your tree on the curb from Jan. 2nd until Jan. 13th. If your tree is taller than six feet, you'll need to cut it in half. You can also take your tree to the Horn Rapids landfill.

For those in Kennewick, head to the transfer station on the corner of 27th and Ely.
All Benton County residents, set your tree on the curb, but make sure its cut in 3-feet sections.

Over in Franklin County, you can take your tree to the Tri-Cities Cross Country Running Course in Pasco until the end of January.

You can also recycle all the paper, boxes, and bows you unwrapped. If your city doesn't have recycling bins, contact your waste collector to find out where you can take them.

Tri-City based Surgical Implant Generation Network or "S.I.G.N.", collects the boxes and reuses them to send out orthopedic implants to developing countries.

You can also recycle excess packing peanuts or bubble wrap, by dropping them off at S.I.G.N. in Richland when they open up again on January 2nd.