Neighbor saves man from destructive motor home fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Neighbor saves man from destructive motor home fire

Posted: Updated:

PASCO, WA - A fire ripped through a Pasco home earlier this afternoon, sending the resident to the hospital and turning the motor home into a pile of ash.

Reporter Mackenzie Allen was at the scene and learned that a neighbor taking a cigarette break might have saved the man's life.

Although the Pasco Fire Department was able to keep the flames from jumping to any nearby homes, the home and everything in it was a complete loss. Pasco Assistant Chief Dave Hare said dispatch received a call just after three this afternoon, but by the time crews arrived, the house was fully engulfed and burning so hot that they couldn't get inside.

The man who lived there was inside when the fire started, but thankfully a neighbor jumped into action when she saw the flames, and was able to get him outside quickly. She told us that she's never seen anything like it, and she is thankful she was in the right place at the right time.

"By the time we got him away from it, it just went up in flames and there was no way to, you know," said the neighbor, Denise Harris. "Thank God I got him out, that's all I can say. I'm just glad I was here, glad I came out to have a cigarette."

There's no word yet on the cause of the fire, but the Assistant Fire Chief believes because it was a motor home that there may have been a fuel source like propane that allowed it to burn as hot and fast as it did.

The neighbor informed us that the victim may have suffered from smoke inhalation and was having a tough time breathing when she got him out. He was taken to the hospital, but the severity of his injuries have not been released.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/