Union Gap restaurant fire causes $50,000 in damages - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Union Gap restaurant fire causes $50,000 in damages

Posted: Updated:

UNION GAP, WA-  Firefighters are cleaning up after an early morning fire in Union Gap. It happened just before 5 a.m. at the El Porton Restaurant on the 2500 Block of Main Street. When firefighters got on scene found the inside of the building full of smoke. 

Upon further investigation, firefighters discovered a fire in the kitchen area and all fire sprinkler systems were activated. The fire was quickly extinguished by firefighters but presented a slight challenge in making sure that the fire would not spread into the attic area. The fire did extend into a ventilation shaft but did not go further into the structure.   

South bound traffic was shut down during the fire but was re-opened within a couple of hours after "mop-up" efforts were completed. Business owners will be working diligently to re-open this restaurant after clean efforts and inspection processes have been completed. It is unknown when this restaurant will be open for business but it is not expected to be for a long period of time.  

Right now, fire crews are saying it was an accidental fire. The flames damaged part of the kitchen area, luckily no one was inside the restaurant when the fire started. The damages are totaled at about 50 thousand dollars right now.