Sunnyside police officer resigns during investigation - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Sunnyside police officer resigns during investigation

Posted: Updated:


SUNNYSIDE, WA - As of March 24th, 2017, Officer Anthony Russell has resigned from the Sunnyside Police Department. Officer Russell had been on paid Administrative Leave since October 2016 while the department investigated potential policy violations in connection to domestic disturbance reports.

The City of Sunnyside and the Police Department take allegations such as these very serious, thus the long and thorough investigation process. Additionally in cases such as this, outside agencies are asked to conduct the investigation in order to maintain objectivity and minimize any conflicts of interest. In most instances this process adds to the time involved in concluding internal affairs investigations.

Those at the Sunnyside Police Department strive to hold to the expectations and trust instilled in their positions. It is unfortunate when investigations surrounding domestic matters focus on those in positions of authority. They believe in due process on both criminal investigations as well as administrative actions, and hold their employees to the same standards as those they serve. Although Officer Russell has resigned, they do not view his decision as any admission of guilt, as all people are innocent until proven guilty by a jury of their peers.


SUNNYSIDE, WA - A Sunnyside police officer has resigned amid an investigation into domestic violence allegations. Officer Anthony Russell resigned Monday. He has been on paid leave since October while the department investigates policy violations in connection to domestic disturbances.
Russell is being held on $250,000 bail at the Yakima County jail on domestic violence charges.
He was arrested earlier this month after a woman reported he had pinned her to the ground, leaving bruises and threatened her repeatedly.
The alleged incident dated to January, but the Herald-Republic says it wasn't the first time police say they were called to his home to investigate reports of domestic violence.
Russell had been on the force for about eight years.