Family, dog safe in Butte house fire started by candle - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Family, dog safe in Butte house fire started by candle

Posted: Updated:

BUTTE - A family and their pet dog are safe after a burning candle ignited a house fire early Saturday morning in Butte.

At 1:26 a.m. on Dec. 2, local law enforcement and the Butte Silver-Bow and Racetrack Volunteer fire departments responded to a structure fire at the corner of Lafayette and George. Upon arrival, first responders observed smoke issuing from the eaves of the home. Firefighters used thermal imaging cameras to determine that an active fire was burning through the ceiling and into the attic. The occupants of the home stood by. 

Firefighters found the family's pet dog, who was still inside, and took the dog outside to administer emergency aid. The dog was later taken to a veterinarian and was reported to be doing well.

After extinguishing the fire, firefighters also retrieved two pet lizards that were kept in an aquarium in the living room. The lizards were taken outside but it was uncertain if the lizards would survive.

Responders determined that a candle left burning in the kitchen ignited the fire. They cleared the scene at 3:26 a.m.

Fire Marshal Brian Doherty would like to remind everyone to take precautions when lighting candles:

1) Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens; 
2) Keep a 12” circle of safety around all candles; and 
3) Place candles in non-tip candle holders where they cannot be knocked down or blown over.

The Butte-Silver Bow Fire Department also credits the employees of Front Street Safeway 310, who initiated the effort to obtain a grant that included seven Pet Oxygen Mask Kits from the Emma Zen Foundation. 

Information and photos courtesy Butte-Silver Bow Fire Department.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Regional NewsMore>>

  • Hero dog shot multiple times protecting teenager from burglars

    Hero dog shot multiple times protecting teenager from burglars

    Thursday, February 22 2018 5:33 PM EST2018-02-22 22:33:09 GMT

    DES MOINES, Wash. - A 2-year-old German shepherd is being called a hero for risking his life to protect his 16-year-old human best friend when two burglars broke into a Des Moines, Washington home.  According to KIRO, burglars broke into the home Wednesday afternoon. The teenager hid in the closet with his dog, Rex. But Rex soon ran downstairs and confronted the burglars, who beat him until he was bloody. Rex ran back upstairs.

    More >>

    DES MOINES, Wash. - A 2-year-old German shepherd is being called a hero for risking his life to protect his 16-year-old human best friend when two burglars broke into a Des Moines, Washington home.  According to KIRO, burglars broke into the home Wednesday afternoon. The teenager hid in the closet with his dog, Rex. But Rex soon ran downstairs and confronted the burglars, who beat him until he was bloody. Rex ran back upstairs.

    More >>
  • Grant Co. K-9 Grizzly saves elderly Ephrata man who wandered away from home

    Grant Co. K-9 Grizzly saves elderly Ephrata man who wandered away from home

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 1:16 PM EST2018-02-21 18:16:07 GMT

    EPHRATA, Wash. - Grant County K-9 Grizzly saved the life of an 85-year-old Ephrata man suffering from Alzheimer's early Wednesday morning.  The Sheriff's Office says the 85-year-old man wandered away from his home overnight in the frigid, single-digit temperatures. Deputies, firefighters and medics searched the area and even used thermal imaging, but could not find the man.  

    More >>

    EPHRATA, Wash. - Grant County K-9 Grizzly saved the life of an 85-year-old Ephrata man suffering from Alzheimer's early Wednesday morning.  The Sheriff's Office says the 85-year-old man wandered away from his home overnight in the frigid, single-digit temperatures. Deputies, firefighters and medics searched the area and even used thermal imaging, but could not find the man.  

    More >>
  • Salmonella outbreak prompts Dept. of Health warning: 'Don't snuggle or kiss live poultry'

    Salmonella outbreak prompts Dept. of Health warning: 'Don't snuggle or kiss live poultry'

    Tuesday, February 20 2018 4:55 PM EST2018-02-20 21:55:50 GMT

    OLYMPIA, Wash. - The Washington Department of Health says nationally there were 1,120 Salmonella cases linked to backyard poultry in 2017, with 23 of those reported in Washington. Those 23 cases were more than double the number of cases in the previous two years combined.  "Salmonella can cause serious illness," the Department of Health said. 

    More >>

    OLYMPIA, Wash. - The Washington Department of Health says nationally there were 1,120 Salmonella cases linked to backyard poultry in 2017, with 23 of those reported in Washington. Those 23 cases were more than double the number of cases in the previous two years combined.  "Salmonella can cause serious illness," the Department of Health said. 

    More >>