Red Cross helping displaced family after fire in Yakima - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Red Cross helping displaced family after fire in Yakima

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, WA - Yakima Firefighters say an electrical problem may have sparked a house fire on the 600 Block of South 7th Avenue.

Around 8:30 Tuesday night, the homeowners reported hearing a popping sound before finding the flames.

Crews had a hard time getting to the blaze because of a downed power line in the back of the house. PP&L responded to cut the power line so firefighters could get to the flames. Cascade Natural Gas also responded to disconnect service to the home.

The fire found its way into hidden spaces, so teams they had to open up the walls. The attic also had sawdust insulation so they had to pull the ceiling too. They also had to use a ladder to get the fire out on the roof because it had cedar shake shingles.

Firefighters rescued several pets from the basement. One pet received oxygen from an ambulance. 

It destroyed everything inside the home, luckily no one got hurt. The Red Cross is helping the family. 

This is the second fire YFD was dispatched to within six hours on Tuesday. 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Yakima NewsYakima News TodayMore>>

  • Remembering those who served

    Remembering those who served

    Monday, November 12 2018 9:35 PM EST2018-11-13 02:35:19 GMT

    One local man remembers his father and all his service to the country.

    More >>

    One local man remembers his father and all his service to the country.

    More >>
  • Yakima PD spokesman on leave for alleged road rage incident

    Yakima PD spokesman on leave for alleged road rage incident

    Monday, November 12 2018 3:54 PM EST2018-11-12 20:54:31 GMT

    Authorities say the spokesman of the Yakima Police Department has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.

    More >>

    Authorities say the spokesman of the Yakima Police Department has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.

    More >>
  • Garage destroyed in morning Grandview fire

    Garage destroyed in morning Grandview fire

    Monday, November 12 2018 3:48 PM EST2018-11-12 20:48:30 GMT

    An early morning fire in Grandview Monday morning damaged the garage of a home but luckily didn't spread to the house. 

    More >>

    An early morning fire in Grandview Monday morning damaged the garage of a home but luckily didn't spread to the house. 

    More >>