Washington's first female firefighter dies - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Washington's first female firefighter dies

Posted: Updated:

SEATTLE, WA (AP) - Washington state's first female firefighter has died.
  
The Seattle Times reported Tuesday that retired Bellevue Fire Department Capt. Jeanette Woldseth died in February from complications due to cancer. She was 64.
  
Woldseth first became a volunteer firefighter in Bellevue, but she had her sights on becoming a full-time firefighter with the department. In 1977, Bellevue hired the then-23-year-old, who became the first paid female firefighter in the state.
  
Woldseth was promoted to lieutenant in 1981 and then captain in 1985. She retired in 2002.
  
Friends and colleagues say she was meticulous and confident as a firefighter and detailed as a captain.
  
A memorial in her honor is scheduled for Saturday in Bellevue when those who knew Capt. Woldseth will share their stories.

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Tri-CitiesTri-Cities NewsMore>>

  • Kennewick man finds coyote pup in his kitchen

    Kennewick man finds coyote pup in his kitchen

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 9:15 PM EDT2018-06-20 01:15:19 GMT
    Courtesy: Kennewick Police DepartmentCourtesy: Kennewick Police Department

    A Kennewick man got quite the shock Monday night when he found a startled coyote pup cowering in his house. 

    More >>

    A Kennewick man got quite the shock Monday night when he found a startled coyote pup cowering in his house. 

    More >>
  • 9th annual Tri-Cities Geocoin Challenge

    9th annual Tri-Cities Geocoin Challenge

    Monday, June 18 2018 8:28 PM EDT2018-06-19 00:28:14 GMT

    The 9th annual Tri-Cities Geocoin Challenge begins Thursday, June 21 through June 24.  

    More >>

    The 9th annual Tri-Cities Geocoin Challenge begins Thursday, June 21 through June 24.  

    More >>
  • Odors reported in 242-A pump storage room

    Odors reported in 242-A pump storage room

    Monday, June 18 2018 6:16 PM EDT2018-06-18 22:16:22 GMT

    Two Hanford workers were released back to work after undergoing medical evaluation Friday for odors reported in the 242-A pump storage room airlock. 

    More >>

    Two Hanford workers were released back to work after undergoing medical evaluation Friday for odors reported in the 242-A pump storage room airlock. 

    More >>