Fire in Finley
FINLEY, Wash. - Two men used blow torches and caused a fire in Finley and firefighters said this situation could have gotten seriously out of control.
The two men said they were trying to cut up pieces of metal from old mobile homes and were planning to make some money on the old scraps, but their plan did not go as expected.
Fire officials said another few minutes and this dry land could have easily gone up in flames. The two men were using a hose to try and put it out before firefighters arrived.
One of the men involved, Damon said, "We're cutting it with a torch and it got out of control. It spread rather quickly an one thing led to another. We had to run for hoses and before you know it this is what happened."
The two men involved said they can not believe how fast everything happened. Scott Mead said, "It went very quickly and after a matter of seconds it was engulfed in flames. "
He said he was shaken up and scared, "a little bit of panic wondering what to do and where to grab the hoses from."
Three area fire districts responded to the fire and have a warning for everyone about the upcoming holiday.
Captain Ron Fryer with the Benton County Fire District Number One said, "Since it's getting dryer and close to the fourth of July we just want folks to use a little common sense. "
Firefighters warn that using any type of flame or fire in dry weather is extremely dangerous.