SWAT Team Captures Suspects - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

SWAT Team Captures Suspects

KENNEWICK, Wash. - An armed robbery in Richland prompts police to call in the SWAT team.

Richland detectives found the suspects hiding in Kennewick, and because of one suspect's violent history, police decided they better bring in extra force.

Before nine o'clock Thursday morning, the neighborhood on South Garfield Street in Kennewick looked pretty peaceful, but after nine, it looked more like a war zone.

An armed robbery in Richland at Midnight, had the SWAT team in Kennewick running early Thursday morning.

Conditions only started to cool down when the team took 20-year-old Jonathan Woods into custody.

Police said Woods and 19-year-old James Taylor robbed a man at gunpoint at a set of apartments at 1621 George Washington Way.

It took police nearly 10 hours to find the men, and officers said it wasn't easy.

"The detective work is not dissimilar to having someone dump a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle on the table in front of you, and say, now take all these little tiny pieces and make a picture."

But after officers searched Woods' home, the picture started to look more clear.

Their search led the SWAT team to 1508 W. 14th Ave where they thought Taylor was hiding.

When neighbors saw what looked like the army swarming their neighborhood. They were pretty surprised.

"About 30 seconds later that APC, that armed personnel carrier, came rolling down the street pulled up on the front lawn across the street... and Joe and I upstairs we're like, Whoa," said witness Hank Van Wout.

After several requests the SWAT team finally coaxed Taylor out of the apartment.

Officers said they'd much rather spent extra time negotiating than enter the house with guns pointed.

"Obviously the last resort is going in after the person because the person could have weapons at their disposal, it puts swat members in great jeopardy when they have to do it," said Sgt. Ken Lattin, Kennewick Police Department.

Both men surrendered peacefully, no one was injured.  Police are holding Woods and Taylor on probable cause for first degree robbery.