6-Year-Old Girl Suffers Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

6-Year-Old Girl Suffers Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

YAKIMA, Wa -  A scary situation for a Yakima family today (Thursday).  A 6-year-old girl passes out from carbon monoxide poisoning and has to be taken to the hospital.

The Yakima Fire Department responded to a call at a home on the 9400 block of West Chestnut early this morning.  Fire investigators say the girl smelled something strange and walked into her parents bedroom before collapsing.  They say the family left a vehicle running in the garage. Deputy Fire Marshal Ron Melcher says that caused the carbon monoxide poisoning.  The girl is going to okay. 

Melcher says the incident shows the need for everyone to have a carbon monoxide detector at home, not just a smoke detector.

"In any fire, we have carbon monoxide and there's smoke with every fire, but if you have a charcoal gas grill, burning real fire, it doesn't really produce that much smoke, so it will not alert you.  You have to have a carbon monoxide detector," says Melcher.

Carbon monoxide is responsible for the most accidental poisonings in the country, averaging about 300 accidental deaths a year.

 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/