PASCO, Wash.- A fire broke out around 9:40 at Ainsworth and Road 33.
Firefighters say contractors were using a cutting torch to take the top off of a boxcar when heat from the torch ignited insulation in the car.
Investigators say the workers were doing nothing wrong when the fire started.
"They were doing everything right. They had their water truck out there, they were putting water on it when they were doing the cutting, everything they were supposed to be doing," said Pat Henrickson, Pasco Fire Captain.
"It's just, ah, a little bit too much heat, and got into that insulation."
It took 2 engines about a half hour to put out the flames.
Workers say the car was being shipped north to be used as scrap metal, but the top needed to be cut off because it was taller than the legal height.