Brush fire in Kennewick
KENNEWICK, Wash. - Fireworks might be to blame for a fire in Kennewick.
A woman walking near the Zintel Canyon saw smoke and called 9-1-1.
Kennewick Fire Chief said they would be monitoring the hot spots throughout the night.
No word on an exact cause but firefighters found Roman Candle fireworks as they were trying to get the flames under control. It started around three o'clock this afternoon at the bottom of the canyon.
The fire chief blames overgrown sagebrush and weeds for fueling the fire. No reported injuries. The chief said it was slow moving but progressive because of the wind.
Amanda DeCoursey saw smoke and called 9-1-1. She said, "You could tell as it went up the mountain. When it got to a new spot is when it would crack and pop."
The fire chief reports flames were up to 12 feet high and said there is about an acre and a half of land affected.
The Fire Marshall was called in to investigate. Firefighters warn everyone to be extra cautious because of the extreme dry weather.
The fire department is looking for witnesses and asks anyone who saw what happened to contact authorities.