Jean Theoret wins San Diego & World Championship title - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Jean Theoret wins San Diego & World Championship title

SAN DIEGO, California - This was one heck of a wrap-up to one of the most exciting Unlimited Hydroplane seasons in years.  And on this day, we crowned three different champions!

Jean Theoret jumped into the lead in the Finals and watched the rest of the field in his rear view mirror the rest of the way.  Theoret took home the crown for the San Diego tour stop and with it the ProBoats Models World Championship title.

In the finals, Jimmy King and the U-3 finished second, followed by the U-6 Oh Boy! Oberto with Steve David.

David's finish in the finals allowed him to gain enough points to wind up the year as the National High Points Champion for Drivers.  It's David's second year in a row.  Despite not winning a race this year, David's consistent performance and endurance won him the title.

"We needed those points badly, but we need a new boat worse," said David. "We're just not as fast as the (former) Bud boats. (The Oberto) is running faster than it ever has, we just don't have the speed that the other teams have."

STEVE DAVID in the Madison Courier

Rookie Mike Allen, driving the U-7 II, finished in 4th in the Finals at San Diego, but passed up David to win the National High Points Championship by 168 points.  The U-7 will take the U-1 designation, symbolizing the win, into next season.  The current U-1, the Elam driven by Dave Villwock, will return to its U-16 designation.

"Eric from our team has been saying all year that he is living his dream by simply working with our race team.  That is what we all have been feeling the entire season.  I still can't believe I'm the 2006 National Team Champion.  It has been a unbelievable year and this weekend was nothing er imagined."

MIKE ALLEN on website

Rounding out the finals were Jeff Bernard in the U-5 and the U-2.25 driven by Dr. Ken Muscatel.  A disappointing finish for Villwock.  The U-1 Elam had engine problems in the first lap.  Villwock was unable to get it to fire back up. 

It was a wild finish to a wild season of racing.