Veteran's Widows Get Property Assistance - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Veteran's Widows Get Property Assistance

A new government program is giving veteran's families a helping hand. The new grants will be given to the surviving spouses of veterans.

The State Department of Revenue says that up to 300 people could qualify for the service. The grants help the the widow or widower of a veteran pay rising property taxes. To get a grant, a person must be 62 years old, own and occupy their own home, and have a combined disposable income of $40,000 or less. So far, 43 people have taken advantage of the grants and more than $20,000 have been given.

Also, the veteran of the widow must have died from a service-related diability and have been 100 percent disabled for 10 years prior to death. They could also qualify if they had been a prisoner of war and were fully disabled for one year prior to their death or had died on active duty.