Turn Holiday Lights Off
KENNEWICK, Wash. - Get out the holiday decorations, it is that time of year again.
Santa knick-knacks, the mistletoe and of course all those lights but there are something you need to remember.
The Kennewick Fire Department said to shut the holiday lights off before you leave the house.
They said it is a mistake that many people make but the fire department said even the little lights could potentially cause a fire.
Firefighters said people should never leave any kind of holiday lights on when they leave the house or go to sleep.
They also said it is unsafe to string more than three strands in a row.
Kennewick Firefighter Rob Buckley said candles are also a problem. He said, "A lot of people break out extra candles during this time of year and if they don't do a sweep of the house they can forget that they left one on in a room that they didn't remember starting it at."
The fire department said candles start a lot fires.
They also suggest keeping your Christmas tree watered because it can become dry and easier to catch on fire.