Blow Torch to Frozen Pipes Causes Kennewick House Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Blow Torch to Frozen Pipes Causes Kennewick House Fire

KENNEWICK, Wash. - Kennewick authorities said a man set his home on fire while trying to defrost frozen pipes with a blowtorch.

It happened Wednesday night on South Anderson Street in Kennewick.  Fire officials said the wood on the side of his home caught fire and then spread to the attic.

34 firefighters battled the blaze and no one was hurt.

Every winter frozen pipes are a problem but the fire department and area plumbers said people should never use an open flame on a frozen pipe.

Officials said to protect your pipes so they do not freeze.

The fire department said to make sure all vents are closed and insulate pipes with foam or fiberglass wraps but they do not recommend the heated tape that plugs in the wall.

If you have had a frozen pipe problem in the past, the plumber said homeowners should let water in the pipes trickle a little bit to prevent freezing.

Mix Plumbing owner Curt Mix said, "Water in a pipe is standing still, until you open it, and it flows.  When it's flowing it can't freeze and that is why rivers don't freeze."

Space heaters also present a fire hazard if they are not used properly.  The fire department said to keep anything that can burn away from any space heater.

 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/