Ash From Wood Stove Sparks Another House Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Ash From Wood Stove Sparks Another House Fire

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash. - Another fire damages a Yakima home, and wood stove ash is blamed again.

Around midnight Tuesday, a local family woke to find their garage on fire.  Fire crews arrived to the house in the 600 block of Pickens Road to find the garage engulfed in flames.

Firefighters were able to put the fire out before it spread to the rest of the house.  There were no injuries, because the family got out after their smoke detectors went off.

Deputy Fire Marshal Ron Melcher says, "You have to think about what you're putting your ashes into.  It needs to be a metal container, with a tight lid."

You can buy a 6 gallon metal garbage can at local hardware stores for about $16.  Before you dump the ashes in, make sure the container is empty.  You need to put it on a surface like concrete, and keep it away from walls and anything else combustible in your home.

"You need to let it sit for a few days." Melcher says.  "Make sure it's cool."  He adds that there are no guidelines for the proper amount of time to wait for ashes to cool, but he says putting them in your garden right now is safe.