Fires Haunt Two Yakima Families - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Fires Haunt Two Yakima Families

YAKIMA, Wash. - A family's neighbor might have saved their house from a fire on Monday afternoon.

No one was home at the time, but the neighbor called the fire department to report smoke coming from the family's garage on Grissom Road. 

West Valley Fire Department's Christy Boisselle said a doghouse caught fire from a heat lamp.

The fire then extended to the garage. The dog escaped without being hurt.

Boisselle said she doesn't know the extent of the damage, but she said the family should be more careful.

"Had this fire happened on their back porch, the house would've been partially taken from fire, so gotta use your smarts," she said.

Boisselle said people need to be careful when using heat lamps. She said people should turn them off the lamps if they leave the room.

And she also said people should keep the lamps away from other objects that could catch fire.

Another fire on Jermone Avenue on Monday, left a family without their home.

All the people in the house escaped without injuries.

Yakima fire battalion chief Abel Castilleja said the fire destroyed most of the family's contents and the house was nearly destroyed.

Castilleja estimates the total damage to be $60,000.

He also said the family's seven-year-old caused the fire by playing with a cigarette lighter. The Red Cross is helping the family out with a place to stay.

 

 

 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/