Five-Year-Old Starts Fire in Pasco - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Five-Year-Old Starts Fire in Pasco

An apartment fire forces one family to spend the night away from home. It all started with a five-year-old boy playing with a lighter.

In this apartment on Marie Street in Pasco the five-year-old lit some clothes on fire. Things soon got out of control. Pasco Firefighters responded quickly but the bottom floor apartment was severely burned.

The four kids inside got out but are spending tonight at a family member's house. Neighbors say they were worried about the children at the apartment.

Yuritzi Gomez said, "It was kind of scary, but when I saw the parents there holding them, and telling them to not go to the area, it was okay, when I knew they had their parents with them."

Yuritzi's brother was actually one of the first people on the scene. He grabbed a fire extinguisher and helped his friends get out of the burning house. Yuritzi says it was really neat to see people helping each other out.

Fortunately, no one was hurt and the fire did not spread.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/