WASHINGTON- The Consumer Product Safety Commission is changing rules for generators after about seven people died of carbon monoxide poisoning following the storm on the westside in December.
A new federal law will require all new generators to carry a label similar to those handed out by local rental shops.
The label will read, "Using a generator indoors CAN KILL YOU IN MINUTES."
It will warn people that exhaust contains odorless carbon monoxide, and are unsafe indoors, even if windows and doors are open.
Local rental dealers say they already make sure people know the dangers before they take them home.
"There is a safety sheet that comes with the invoice that we recommend that the customer reads, which will state, you know, proper usage," said Jeff Wattenburger, Manager of United Rentals in Pasco, who rent generators.
The new law isn't immediately effective. It'll take effect 120 days after the resolution, and the warnings will also have to appear on the packaging.