Kennewick House Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Kennewick House Fire

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, Wash. - A family is homeless after smoke and fire ripped through their home on south Sharron in Kennewick Saturday morning.

The fire department is investigating the fire and said the family is lucky to be alive.  Smoke could be seen all the way down Kennewick Avenue.

Firefighters said the flames moved very quickly through the house and destroyed almost everything inside.

Firefighters said the mother and daughter were sleeping inside when the fire broke out. 

Battlion Chief Dan Birkhimer said, "The smoke was so heavy she started to scream and was able to wake the other woman up in the other room and they both bailed out separate windows to get out of the house."

Fire victim Alma Madrigal said, "My mom woke me up when she saw the fire and I got out my window as soon as possible."

The victims said her family just recently remodeled the home.

The fire department said there was no working smoke detector which is extremely dangerous.

Birkhimer said, "Deadly, pure and simple.  People complain that they go off all the time but they are doing what they are suppose to be doing."

Madrigal said, "I wanted everyone out of the house and everyone was out but I was so scared."

The fire department said the fire might have started in either the kitchen or living room but said this investigation will continue.