Fire Causes Apartment Building to be Evacuated in Wapato
WAPATO, Wa - An apartment building in Wapato has to be evacuated after a fire breaks out in a nearby storage shed.
Yakima Fire District #5 responded to the call at around 2:1pm this afternoon. It happened at 118 East 3rd Street. Firefighters say it only took a few minutes to put the fire out, but smoke went into DLT Apartments, which is right next to the shed. They also say the fire damaged some electrical wiring connected to the building.
One man says he was warned by a neighbor.
"I thought he was joking at first. I run out the back and I see the flames and everything, so I go inside and I get the people staying with me," says Robert Jones, who lives at DLT Apartments, "All the other people in the apartments that I know... I start knocking on their door, but by that time, the police were already also in the building."
About 35-people live in the building. They won't be allowed to go back into their apartments until tomorrow at the earliest. The Red Cross will be helping them out tonight.
Meanwhile, firefighters say they believe the fire was caused by a person, but don't know if it was arson.