Peanut Butter Recall ContinuesPosted: Updated:
WASHINGTON - Health Officials said more than 300 people got sick across the country because of a possible link between certain peanut butter and salmonella contamination.
Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter might have been contaminated.
A Kennewick woman thought she might have been exposed after she ate Great Value peanut butter that she bought from the Kennewick Walmart.
Kennewick resident Heather Moyer said, "I felt cramping in my stomach and it wasn't like any other type of cramp. I could feel my stomach bubbling. For days afterwards, whether I was eating bread or rice I would get sick. I couldn't hold anything down. I was vomiting and not handling it well."
The ConAgra Foods Company that distributes the peanut butter has started a voluntary recall.
The Benton Franklin County Health Department received a number of calls from concerned people that have experienced some symptoms but none of the cases have been confirmed as salmonella contamination by a doctor.
Environmental Health Specialist Susan Shelton said salmonella can grow in dry conditions. She said, "I call it pesky because it can show up in places that we don't expect. Usually if we keep our food free from bacteria and germs by controlling the temperature and controlling water in it we don't have any problems. That works for most germs, but for salmonella it's pretty strong and it can survive in areas we're not accustom too."
The Health Department recommended that people contact their doctor if they feel sick. If you bought Peter Pan or Great Value peanut butter you can send the lid back to ConAgra Foods for a refund.