Underage Smokers Cause House Fire in Pasco - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Underage Smokers Cause House Fire in Pasco

Posted: Updated:

PASCO, Wash. -- Police say teens smoking cigarettes caused a fire at a Pasco home. It happened on the 800 block of South 5th avenue around two this afternoon.

Police say two teens, aged 13 and 14, were inside the house when one of them threw a lit cigarrette into the backyard.

It caught the place on fire. Police say the teens then tried to put the fire out by dumping a bucket of liquid onto the flames. The liquid turned out to be gasoline, which only made the fire worse.

There was significant damage done to the house. The actual homeowner is reportedly upset. Family members say the teens were close friends of the homeowner.

 One of the teens was arrested. Police say he lied about the fire and said a gang member was near the home and started it. Police say he was arrested for providing them with false information.

 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/