FINLEY, Wash. - A haystack fire causes big problems for firefighters in Finley.
Over $5,000.00 worth of hay rapidly caught fire at the Beaver's family farm on East Bowles Road.
Around nine thirty this morning the owner was burning some wood near by. Wind blew embers onto the hay stack igniting the fire.
Firefighters say there wasn't much they could do other than let it keep burning.
"Pretty much we let it burn down and put some sprinklers on it to keep the active flame down and just let it smolder. The neighbors will probably smell some smoke from this but there's not much else we can do," said Fire Chief Bob Gear with the Benton County Fire District #1.
Firefighters spent several hours fighting the fire before it finally got under control. They tried to salvage as much hay as they could, but the owner says there's very little left worth saving.