Gleed, WASH - It took over 20 firefighters and a quick response to prevent a potential serious fire in Gleed Wednesday night. The Yakima Pallet and Bin factory made a phone call to 911 reporting a fire in their hopper. The hopper collects spare chunks of wood when the pallets and bins are made. Fire officials say the hopper became clogged and a fan caused a spark.
Crews from Gleed, Yakima, Naches, and Selah fire departments were on scene which prevented nearby stacks of pallots from catching fire.
"If the fire would have been late at night, nobody around, where it would've got a good start. It could've got into one of the buildings and been a major fire which would've been a big dollar loss for the area," said Chief Jerry Davis of the Selah Fire Department.
Some of the burnt wood was seen smouldering on top of a nearby building. The Yakima Fire Department was dousing the roof with water. No injuries or significant damage was reported at the factory.