Richland Boy in Jail Faces Possible Charges of Raping Nine Month Old - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Richland Boy in Jail Faces Possible Charges of Raping Nine Month Old

Posted: Updated:

RICHLAND, Wash.- Richland Police say they have a teenager in custody after a sickening case of child rape.

Police were called to Kadlec Medical Center Tuesday morning after emergency room staff alerted them a sexual assault may have occurred.

Richland Police have the young man they believe is responsible for the crime in custody.  He is a 17-year-old Richland male, accused of raping a baby only nine-months-old.

Richland police were already at Kadlec Medical Center on other matters around 3:00 Tuesday morning when hospital staff alerted them to a startling discovery.

"The child had been brought in, injuries to the child demonstrated that some sort of sexual assault had occurred," said Richland Police Capt. Mike Cobb.

A quick investigation led to police arresting the 17-year-old Richland male who'd been babysitting the child.

The teen is being held in the Benton Franklin Juvenile Justice Center on suspicion of first degree child rape.

"Should the 17-year-old male be charged with the offense as he was booked, that's an automatic decline, which means that his case would be filed directly into the adult jurisdiction," said Terry Tanneberg, who manages the center.

The prosecutor has 72-hours to make that decision.

The nine-month-old victim's injuries were so severe, he was airlifted to Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane.

Police call it one of the worst crimes they'll ever see; something that hits you in the heart.

"This is probably one of the most disturbing type of events that ever occurs to a police officer or a family member.  So it's nothing we ever want to hear, nothing we ever want to investigate, but unfortunately, all too often we have to," Cobb said.

At last check, the suspect is yet to be charged with the crime.  No bail has been set. 

Detectives are still sifting through the evidence.  They'll probably have to send some of it out for processing at the state lab, a process they say may take several months.