WAPATO, Wash -- A controlled burn quickly erupts into a dangerous fire in Wapato.
Just before noon Saturday morning, Darryl Roberts and his mother, were burning a pile of wood. Little did they know, there was a propane tank buried in the pile.
It quickly caught fire, sending debris over seventy five yards in all directions.
"We heard a hissing sound, and started to get way back," said Roberts. "And it blew up and sounded like a hell of a bomb. It was tremendous."
No one was seriously hurt, although Roberts said several people had burns on their hands.
Fortunately, fire fighters were near by. A few minutes before the blast, they checked on the home after seeing smoke from the controlled burn. They quickly returned to the house, and were able to prevent the fire from spreading to other properties.