Detroit 2007: Qualifying Speeds for Friday are faster than last year
Now we're cooking! Seven out of nine boats had their fastest qualifying times of the season. The U-1, U-37, U-6, U-3, U-13, U-1 and U-5 put up season best numbers. U-16 driver Dave Villwock cranked out the highest speed since 2000, when fuel flow restrictions were put in place. All nine teams qualified on Friday.
"The (Detroit) river is what it is," said Villwock. "It was a little windy and rough out there but it was definitely raceable."
Jean Theoret in the U-37 is the defending Gold Cup champion, and also topped 160 mph. Five more drivers topped 150.
2007 Qualifying Speeds after Friday
- U-1 Dave Villwock, Miss Elam Plus, 162.754
- U-37 Jean Theoret, Miss Beacon Plumbing, 160.089
- U-6 Steve David, Oh Boy! Oberto, 156.911
- U-3 Jimmy King, Miss Chrysler Jeep, 155.515
- U-13 J Michael Kelly, Spirit of Detroit, 155.379
- U-1 Jeff Bernard, FormulaBoats.com Dick Scott Auto Group, 153.770*
- U-5 Jeff Bernard, FormualBoats.com presents Miss DYC, 152.984
- U-25 Ken Muscatel, Jarvis Construction, 149.424
- U-100 Greg Hopp, Mirage Racing, 138.651
* Mike Allen will drive the U-1 in the Gold Cup
* Steve David ran a faster time in the U-6, but lost it due to N2 violation
If you compare the 2006 qualifying speeds to this year's speeds at Detroit, you can tell more boats are running faster times.
2006 Qualifying Speeds after Friday
- U-3 Jimmy King 159.332
- U- 37 Miss Seattle Jean Theoret 156.695
- U- 5 FormulaBoats.com Mike Weber 153.634
- U- 7 FormulaBoats.com II Mike Allen 153.128
- U- 6 Oh Boy! Oberto Steve David 152.223
- U- 10 Miss Emcor JW Myers 150.476
- U- 2 Michigan Mortgage Consultants Ken Muscatel 141.462
- U- 21 Miss Simpatico Kevin Aylesworth 139.671
- U- 100 Little Will Greg Hopp 134.298