Granger Woman Killed After a Candle Sets Fire to Her Home
GRANGER, Wash - It wasn't till after firefighters got the fire under control they were told Melvie Bronceau was still inside
Already a quite home, all you could hear on Monday was the breeze coming through the burnt home. Witnesses say Bronceau just kept to herself and took care of a dozen cats. Some who were still trying to figure out what happened the day after the tradgedy.
The fire broke out around 11 Sunday night. Fire fighters were able to contain it before it spread to other homes in Granger's Mobile Villa's Park.
"It was really big and I got really scared, I thought it was going to pass over and burn the other side of the park," says Angelica Godinez, a witness to the fire.
Neighbors say bronceau haD been in bad health and unemployed recently. She was unable to pay her power bill, so it had been shut off for a week. Her brother left her sunday with candles so she could see. A spokesperson for the Yakima County sheriffs Office says the cause of the fire was an accident with those candles. They say bronceau must have been asleep when the fire started.
Granger's Police Chief says in his 20 years on the force he has never seen anyone killed in the city from a fire.