Columbia Cup 2007: Final Qualifying TimesPosted: Updated:
KENNEWICK, Wash - He's won three straight races and Friday he set a new course qualifying speed record on the Columbia River.
Dave Villwock, aboard the U-16 Ellstrom's Elam, hit his fastest qualifying time of the year, posting a 165.687 mph lap speed during his timing run. It sent a clear message to the other race teams, including the U-6 Oh Boy! Oberto and drive Steve David, who just before had run it's fastest qualifying lap yet in the brand new boat at 160.599.
Villwock downplayed the qualifying run. "We'll just try to get enough points to get into the final and then we'll worry about what happens there," he said.
The U-6 crew is ecstatic about the boat's performance to date. It has literally run faster every time they've put it out on the water. "Every time we've gone out, we've gone faster," David said. "That should continue."
Still, Villwock also maintains he's not taking anything for granted. "There are 6 or 7 boats out here that are fast enough and can win."
Nobody was faster than David or Villwock on Saturday. Driver Brian Perkins did got qualified in the U-21 though.
Final Qualifying sessions
- U-16 Miss Ellstrom Elam Plus, Dave Villwock (Auburn, Wash.) 165.687 = new course record*
- U-6 Oh Boy! Oberto, Steve David 160.599
- U-37 Miss Beacon Plumbing, Jean Theoret 158.559
- U-3 Hoss Mortgage II Jimmy Kinhg 158.559
- U-5 FormulaBoats.com Jeff Bernard 157.695
- U-10 Hoss Mortgage Investors, David Bryant 156.052
- U-13 Spirit of Detroit, J. Michael Kelly 151.911
- U-25 Superior Racing, Ken Muscatel 149.065
- U-9 Conover Insurance Chris Bertram 143.861
- U-100 MirageBoats.com Greg Hopp 143.357
- U-21 Meyeres Auto Tech Brian Perkins 143.357
- U-48 Miss Lakeridge Paving, David Williams 142.517
- U-1 FormulaBoats.com Jimmy Shane 141.482
"We were 11 mph back in Evansville, 7 miles back in Detroit, now we're 5 miles back," said Steve David, U-6 driver talking about the U-16 Ellstrom's Elam and Dave Villwock. "We're getting closer."
* Course record is for the "fuel restricted era." Before they put in fuel restriction, there was a course time of 168mph.