PROSSER, Wash. -- A fire in Prosser comes dangerously close to homes and it all started with a spark from an unlikely source.
Benton County fire officials believe a spark from a dirt bike got it all started. Firefighters from Benton, Yakima, and Walla Walla County responded to the estimated 35-acre fire near State Route 22 and Ward Gap Road.
Firefighters say again dry grass and hot temperatures helped the blaze spread quickly. Homeowners stood by as they saw the fire creep closer and closer to their homes.
Wendell Weld lives nearby. He says, "When I first saw it comin, I thought we're in real trouble because if it got behind the house, there is a lot of sagebrush and grass up there and it could go up real fast."
Fortunately, firefighters were able to put out the fire right before it reached the homes. It only burned some farm equipment that sat nearby. Homeowners say they are thankful that firefighters were able to put out the flames so fast.