Get Your House Covered from Wildfires - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Get Your House Covered from Wildfires

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, Wash. -- This year, wildfires have threatened many homes in our area and many people might not be covered if their house gets burned.

Insurance officials say you should never assume your house is going covered by your insurance company. They say if you have made any additions to your house, your insurance usually needs to be updated. And they say that house maintenance, which can help prevent a fire, is not covered by insurance.It is the homeowner's responsability to clean up their roof and the area around their house to help prevent a wildifire from ever getting to their house .

Most of all, insurance officials say that talking with your insurance agent is the most important part. Northwest Insurance Council's Darrin Sanger says, "We recommend checking your policy at least once a year. It is important that you get your insurance agent or your company representative to talk about your insurance needs."

Average housing insurance costs about $540 a year but it varies greatly depending on which policy you have. Insurance officials say it is always better to be pro-active when it comes to insurance. Waiting until your house has been burned won't work.