BURBANK, Wash.--A fire destroys an abandoned trailer and four abandoned vehicles this morning.
It happened on Lake Road, less than a mile from Walla Walla's Fire District 5 station. Fire officials say a squirrel was seen by neighbors running across the power lines, causing electrical sparks to fall to the ground, starting the fire. It then spread, destroying an old trailer and vehicles that were close to the power pole.
"They run across to get to the trees in the front yard and that's where they play so, they usually either get electrocuted or they nod into the power line and they fry," according to Neighbor Melinda Hartman."
Firefighters from U.S Fish and Wildlife, Walla Walla District 5 and 6 as well as Franklin County District 6 were called out.
Neighbors say squirrels have become a nuisance in recent months.