Kennewick Fire Marshal Warns of Code Violations - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Kennewick Fire Marshal Warns of Code Violations

KENNEWICK, Wash. - Substandard living conditions are a concern for Kennewick Police and Firefighters.

The Kennewick Fire Marshal Mark Yaden wants area residents to make sure their homes do not violate any codes.

Last June Kennewick firefighters responded to a fully engulfed mobile home fire off Clearwater Avenue.

After a complete investigation authorities discovered that a generator running from one home to another was the cause of the fire.  The fire sparked a city wide crack down on code violations.

Yaden said people living in substandard conditions like old RV's, garages, shops or sheds pose a serious danger to themselves and first responders in the event there was a fire. 

He said, "We're really asking the public to take into the safety concern that we have with those structures.  They don't meet the same needs as a house and that causes problems."

Yaden said there are more structure fires in the Tri-Cities during the winter months.   

He said firefighters and law enforcement will be on the look for code violations involving extension cords, portable heaters, or any other fire hazards. 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/