COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Days after one first-grader at Ramsey Elementary school in North Idaho tested positive for so-called superbug MRSA, a second student was diagnosed with the drug-resistant strain of staph.
Like the mother of the first student, Rickilin's mother Cammie initially thought her daughter had simply suffered a spider bite. Visits to the doctor revealed both girls were infected. Both families received medical attention early on, but if untreated MRSA can, and has been, deadly.
Cammie's message to other parents is to "take this seriously."
Angela, the mother of the first student diagnosed with the staph infection shares that sentiment, but has an additional message for parents, and questions for school staff.
She told KHQ in an interview Saturday she's disappointed in how the school has handled these events, saying there was a lack of concern and action when she first brought this to their attention. In fact, she's considering not taking her daughter back to the school.