MRSA Case Diagnosed in Hermiston, OregonPosted: Updated:
"He came to me with a lesion on his arm," said Kari Hughes, Gregory's Mother. He assumed it was spider bite. And we kind of went form there. I made a doctors appointment and we went in to have it checked and we found out it was MRSA.
Gregory is currently a sixth grade student at Sandstone Middle School. He says he's not sure how or where he contracted this potentially deadly strain of bacteria.
"I have no idea how I got it," mentions Rodgers Jr.
Joe Angelo spoke with Assistant Superintendent of Hermiston School District, Mark Mulvihill. Mulvihill told Angelo the school nurse is already looking into this and that once they get more information and confirm that this is or is not MRSA, they'll take the necessary steps.
Gregory's mom, Kari, urges parents to be on the lookout for any type of insect bite. Specifically spider bites.
"If it looks like a spider bite have it checked out and watch it," says Hughes. It became red and hot to touch and swollen. And it has a little lump underneath it so its not like a normal spider bite would be.
The Hermiston School District issued a press release calling this an "unconfirmed case of MRSA." This letter will be sent home Wednesday, October 31st with students. School officials say they will implement an aggressive cleaning process in all schools using EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) approved techniques.