MRSA Case Diagnosed in HermistonPosted: Updated:
HERMISTON, Ore.-- Today, another case of the potentially deadly MRSA infection in the area is reported. 11 year old Gregory Rodgers Junior or Hermiston was diagnosed yesterday.
This isn't the first case of the infection in the family. Gregory's older sister contracted MRSA last summer, but after lots of antibiotics, the infection passed and she has since returned to high school.
Now Gregory's faces a difficult road ahead. After school last Friday, he came home and started developing cold-like symptoms. The next day, he noticed what appeared to be a spider bite on his right arm.
Gregory is currently a 6th grader at Sandstone Middle School. He says he's not sure how or where he contracted this potentially deadly strain of bacteria.
Assistant Superintendent of Hermiston School District, Mark Mulvihill says the school nurse is already looking into this and that once they get more information and confirm that this is or is not MRSA, they'll take the necessary steps.
Gregory's mom, Kari, urges parents to be on the lookout for any type of insect bite. Specifically spider bites.
This afternoon, the Hermiston School District issued a press release calling this an unconfirmed case of MRSA. This letter will be sent home tomorrow with students. School officials say they will implement an aggressive cleaning process in all schools using EPA approved techniques.