Harmful Chemical Vapors Detected at Yakima Regional Hospital
YAKIMA, Wash - Emergency crews responded to Yakima Regional Hospital after harmful chemical vapors were found.
Just before 1:00 Tuesday afternoon, a staff member in the hospital's basement lab saw vapors that turned out to be the chemical formaline. Formaline is used to preserve tissue and can be harmful if inhaled.
Firefighters and the Department of Ecology contained and removed the vapors shortly after they were reported. Hospital staff are calling this a rare, but a minor accident.