New Rules To Get In and Out of Canada - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

New Rules To Get In and Out of Canada

Posted: Updated:

WASHINGTON--The Department of Licensing's Kennewick office is one of 11 offices in the state offering Enhanced Driver's Licenses. As of Thursday (January 31st, 2008), you have three options to get in and out of Canada.

Showing your driver's license and birth certificate or showing your passport.

Beginning Friday (February 1st, 2008), DOL gives you a fourth less expensive option...Enhanced Driver's Licenses. DOL said this license serves as both your identification and proof of citizenship.

From what U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agents say, traffic at the Canadian border has been normal. Drivers without Enhanced Licenses are either showing passports or their birth certificates.