Inmate Collect Call Refund - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Inmate Collect Call Refund

Posted: Updated:

KENNEWICK, Wash. -- New information on inmates or their families who were overcharged for phone calls in or out of state prisons.

     The path for people to get their money back is now open.

As of today, an AT&T phone line has been activated where people can call and try and get refunds for the overages. The Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission says that prisoners' families and others were overcharged over $67,000 for collect calls at Airway Heights Penitentiary in Spokane and the Washington State Penitentiary at Walla Walla. 

These overages happened between March and June of 2005. Now if you think you were one of the more than 29,000 that were overcharged, you can call this toll-free number to request a refund. 

That number is 1-800-826-9923. We'll repeat that number at the end of the broadcast.
You have until August 31st to submit your claim.