IRS Letters Show How To Get Rebate Money - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

IRS Letters Show How To Get Rebate Money

Posted: Updated:

WASHINGTON - The IRS is starting to mail out letters to show you how to get money from the 2008 national economic stimulus package.

The letters are being sent to everyone who filed a 2006 tax return. To qualify for a rebate you need to file a 2007 tax return.

If you receive a letter, an IRS spokesperson recommends you need to do one thing with it.

"Well read it. When (people) see correspondence from the IRS they're probably fearful.  This is good news, this isn't bad news," said Judy Monohan, IRS Spokesperson, Seattle Office. 

If you don't normally file a tax return, you still need to file to get a rebate. The good news is the IRS is letting you do that for free.

If you'd like help learning how to receive a rebate, you can call the IRS tax help hotline at 1-888-227-7669, or just click over to the "On Air Links" section of our website, then click on "2008 Stimulus Package Rebate".