Flames Tore Through a Pasco Duplex Monday Afternoon - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Flames Tore Through a Pasco Duplex Monday Afternoon

Posted: Updated:

PASCO, Wash. - Flames tore through a Pasco duplex Monday afternoon.  It happened at four o'clock in the afternoon on Road 32. 

The Pasco Fire Chief Greg Garcia said the fire started after people put hot bricketts, used from a barbeque Sunday afternoon, into a plastic trash can.

Firefighters said the trash can, located right next to the home caught fire.

16-year-old Lee Nino and 16-year-old Jonathan Alvarz were at a house across the street.  They said they saw the flames and ran over to make sure everyone was out of the burning duplex.

The boys banged on the doors and even went into one of the homes to look for three cats.

The cat were apparently hiding and the teens couldn't find them, but the firefighters were able to get them out safely.

Firefighters said the house is completely destroyed and will need to be torn down.  No one was hurt.

Chief Garcia said, "Don't put used bricketts in anything plastic or flammable.  It (barbeque fires)happens quite a bit.  People are lucky when their trash can burns and nothing else...  This is the first one this year and hopefully the last."

Firefighters monitored the home throughout the night to make sure there were no flare ups.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/